Why Professionals

What are the Building and Construction Professions?
Other than builders there a number of professions in the building and construction industry.  The one thing they all have in common is that you require a university degree to be licensed or registered. The professions include:

  • Building Surveyors
  • Project managers
  • Quantity Surveyors
  • Engineers (civil, electrical, mechanical and structural)
  • Surveyors
  • Architects and Building Designers

To operate as building professional in Tasmania you must be licenced and that requires both a qualification and experience.

You can do this either by starting in the workforce, perhaps as an apprentice doing a Certificate 3, and studying part time. Or you can go straight to university and find work to gain experience after graduating.


Careers in building and construction can take you a long way - the skyline is the limit!

Tasmanian Building and Construction Industry Training Board

Go even further!

Want to go even further? The skyline is the limit!

Postgraduate degrees
Postgraduate degrees are a higher level of study that clarify and redefine your study. In most cases, but not all, you would usually complete a postgraduate qualification after your undergraduate degree.

PhD and Research Masters
Higher degrees in research are centred on defining your new ideas through research and discovery. Research PhDs or Masters can only be completed after the Honours component of your undergraduate degree.

Want to know more?

The University of Tasmania School of Engineering and Surveying

School of Architecture and Design

The University of Newcastle

Or download your Build your Career - Professionals brochure HERE